The East Anglian Golf Croquet league is divided into four areas, the
and Western areas, and the clubs in each area played in an all-play-all block over the
course of the season. There are four players per team who play four timed handicap singles against their opposite
numbers, plus two handicap doubles – a total of 18 games per match. The results of the matches in each block can be
found by following the corresponding links. The four area winners then proceed to a knock-out stage for the semi-finals
and finals to determine the overall winner.
The 2019 Western vs. Central Area semi-final was played at
Watford on Sunday 8 September.
The 2019 North & Mid vs. Eastern Area semi-final was played at
Ipswich on Sunday 8 September.
The final will be played at Newport on Sunday 22 September.
EACF Golf Croquet Handicap League Rules – 2019
- All games shall be played under the current CA-approved Laws of Golf Croquet (5th Edition, March 2019) unless specifically modified below.
- The start time of the match should be 10.00 am, unless otherwise agreed by team captains.
- Any number of courts may be used: but note that the format differs substantially depending on the number available. Standard Courts should be used wherever possible, and all courts must be at least ¾-size with the correct proportions. All courts should be in adequate condition such that there is a possibility of accurate positioning, and of hitting a ball from one corner of the court to the opposite corner. Court assignments should be equably spread across all available courts.
- Where the home club has two or more courts available, then each team shall consist of four players, not necessarily the same players each match. The match shall consist of 2 doubles games and 16 singles games. Each Team member will play 1 doubles game and 4 singles games. Match total 18 games.
- The players shall be listed in order, first by lowest handicap and then by highest index. Doubles pairings should be declared prior to start of play. The doubles pairs with the first listed player on each side shall play each other.
- A team scores 2 points for a match win and 1 point for a draw.
- Where the home club has only one court, then each team shall consist of three players, not necessarily the same players each match. The players shall be listed in order, first by lowest handicap and then by highest index. Doubles pairings shall be the first two listed players.
- The match shall consist of 1 doubles games and 9 singles games. The first two listed players in each Team will play 1 doubles game and 3 singles games; the third listed players will play 3 singles games. Match total 10 games. A team scores 2 points for a match win and 1 point for a draw.
- Games shall be 13-point handicap games with a time limit, excluding stoppages, of not less than 50 minutes plus an extension period of eight further strokes. Extra turns may not be played during the extension period (extra turns not used at the conclusion of normal time are lost). If scores are tied after the extension period the game continues until one player scores a further hoop point, at which point the result stands. During this "further extension period" any remaining extra-turns can be used. A tied game is not an acceptable result.
- Substitutes in matches shall be allowed only by prior agreement between the Team Captains.
- No player may play for more than one team in a season. In the event of a violation, all illegal games won by that player shall be forfeit to the opponent with a 0-0 hoop score; all illegal games lost by that player remain valid.
- For those Clubs with two teams in the same region, the matches between those teams must be played as the first fixture of the season, otherwise the result of that game will be void.
- Teams may wear coloured attire, provided all team members (other than those wearing white) wear the same design. [Comment: This is in line with CA Tournament Regulation P4(d)(2).]
- Players must have a valid handicap and play off their current handicap on the day of the match. Handicap range allowed is 0 to 20, however all players with handicaps of 14, 16, 18 or 20, will play off a notional 12 for the purposes of calculating extra turns. No more than one team member may have a handicap of 0, 1, or 2 on the day of the match. [Comment: This is our second attempt to find a handicap range that (most) people are happy with - to be reviewed at the end of the year.]
- Teams of four playing at a home club with two or more courts shall have a minimum aggregate handicap of 20. Teams of three playing at a home club with a single court shall have a minimum aggregate handicap of 15.
- Subject to the application of Rule 2a above, where a player's handicap changes less than a week before a match, that player and/or team shall remain eligible in accordance with CA Tournament Regulations.
- Handicap Cards should be handed to opposing Team Captain before the start of play. All handicap cards must be up to date and verified correct by the Team Captain, Club handicapper or Official CA Handicapper. If a player forgets their card, they should orally declare their handicap, but must provide a copy of the card to the opposing Captain and/or League Manager within 24 hours of the match. If a player's handicap turns out to be lower than that declared on the day, and the change would have been material in establishing eligibility for the individual or the team, then all illegal games won by that player shall be forfeit to the opponent with a 0-0 hoop score; all illegal games lost by that player remain valid. [Comment: Entry to the league is handicap-limited for individuals and/or teams. Eligibility is set out in rule 2(a) above.]
- The home Team Captain should submit to the League Manager a copy of the completed score-sheet within 48 hours. [Comment: The score sheet must show the club names, location, date, full names of all players, handicaps, and all results. Email is preferred.]
- Matches not played by the published cut-off date of the round will be declared void and no points awarded unless a later date has been agreed beforehand by the League Manager. If a team cancels a match unilaterally less than 5 clear days before a scheduled match, then that team forfeits its points and the non-offending team shall be awarded the match and 2 points.
- In the case of a tie on points between two or more teams in an Area Group, then the winner will be determined by net hoops in all matches; and then by other means determined by the Manager.
- Disputes: In the event of a dispute, the League Manager's decision shall be final.